Wednesday 22 June 2011

Persepolis. Great.

So class of 2011, I have a question for all of you. What is your summer reading requirement? Is it all print? Oh that's cool. I got Persepolis. That's right, a COMIC BOOK. What kind of broken college am I attending? Not only isn't it wildly ridiculed for not being Umass Amherst, but even our reading material seems to be a joke. "Haha, you idiots get to read comics." At least that's how I felt at first. Soon, however, I got to thinking. This isn't some curse or bad omen. This is a gift. Something different. While everyone else is stuck, bored, reading books they have no care about, I was sitting in car (my favourite place to read) reading Persepolis, a amazingly entertaining comic about a young girls struggle growing in Tehran during a revolution. And to make it even better (or worse for you unlucky folks) it's a MEMOIR. A damned good one at that. So I praise you, directors or Umass Lowell, for picking an awesome book. Also, Professor Kramer, who is highly intelligent and witty. And finally, a thank you to Marjane Satrapi for sharing your story with the world. I loved every minute of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment